At least 23 people were injured and 1 was killed early on Sunday morning in a shooting in Willowbrook, according to authorities.
At 12:30 a.m., a gunshot occurred in the parking lot of a strip mall at the intersection of Route 83 and Honeysuckle Rose Lane. According to the police, a huge gathering of people who had gathered in the parking lot for a Juneteenth celebration was shot at by an unknown number of suspects.
Multiple weapons were used, according to the DuPage County Sheriff’s Office. There were many hospitalizations, and one individual was declared dead on the spot.
There have been no arrests made at this time, and the investigation is still underway, according to the sheriff’s office.
A mass shooting in Buffalo, New York, left 10 dead and 3 wounded only days before to this incident. That racist shooting has reopened the discussion over gun control in the United States.
The incident at Willowbrook is a stark reminder of the dangers posed by firearms and the need of taking measures to avoid more tragedies like this one.
Here are some additional details about the shooting:
- The shooting took place at a strip mall parking lot near Route 83 and Honeysuckle Rose Lane.
- A large group had gathered in the parking lot for a Juneteenth celebration.
- An unknown number of suspects opened fire into the crowd.
- Multiple rounds were fired from multiple weapons.
- Several people were taken to area hospitals.
- One person was pronounced dead at the scene.
- No arrests have been made at this time.
- The investigation is ongoing.
Our hearts go out to the victims and their loved ones in this terrible incident. We pray that the police will be able to track down and apprehend the perpetrators of this crime.