According to recent reports, the Washington Wizards and the Boston Celtics have revived their pursuit of a deal that would send Kristaps Porzingis to the Celtics and Marcus Smart to the Grizzlies.
In addition, the Wizards would send Daniel Gafford and Rui Hachimura to the Grizzlies as part of the trade, while the Celtics would send Romeo Langford and Aaron Nesmith to the Wizards as part of the transaction.
Since being sent to Washington in 2019 in a deal with the Dallas Mavericks, Porzingis has been a significant letdown for the Wizards franchise.
Due to injuries, he has only participated in a total of 50 games over the course of the previous two seasons, and during those games, he has only averaged 16.0 points and 7.3 rebounds per contest.
The addition of Marcus Smart, who has been named to the All-Defensive Team three times, would provide the Washington Wizards with a much-needed lift on the defensive end. During the previous season, he finished with 12.1 points, 5.7 assists, and 3.5 rebounds per game on average.
According to reports, the Grizzlies are considering making a move for Smart because they feel he would be a solid addition to their roster next to Ja Morant.
The addition of Smart, who is an effective defender as well as a capable facilitator, would provide the Grizzlies with an additional scoring option off the bench.
It is not obvious if the Celtics and the Wizards will be able to reach an agreement on a deal, but the potential is certainly intriguing. Porzingis has the ability to be a star on the court, but the Washington Wizards have not been able to help him maintain his health.
The addition of Smart, a player with extensive experience, would be beneficial for the Wizards on both sides of the court.
Here are some additional details about the trade:
- Porzingis, Gafford, and Hachimura would be traded to the Celtics.
- Smart, Langford, and Nesmith would all be heading to the Wizards.
- Smart, Langford, and Nesmith would all be headed to the Grizzlies.
- The deal is still in its preliminary phases, and its eventual outcome is unclear at this time.
Here are some thoughts on the trade:
- Trading for Porzingis would be a gamble for the Celtics, but he has star potential if he can avoid injuries.
- Smart is a strong defender and a creative force who might benefit the Wizards.
- Smart is a competent defender and facilitator who would provide the Grizzlies with a scoring boost off the bench.